Diaspora Mapping II: Mapping of the Moldovan Diaspora in Italy, Portugal, France and the United Kingdom
The Mapping the Moldovan diaspora in Italy, Portugal, France and the United Kingdom study is aimed at researching the social-economic profile of Moldovan citizens temporarily or permanently staying abroad, persons originating from the Republic of Moldova and their descendants, as well as their communities, in order to help the Moldovan Government develop migration management policies. The research had the following specific objectives:
- To identify the social-demographic, economic and social-cultural profile of Moldovan migrants;
- To assess the integration of Moldovan migrants in the foreign labour market;
- To analyze the migrants' relation with the home country; (ii) To analyze the level of migrants' social integration in host countries and their relations with diaspora organizations;
- To assess Moldovan diaspora development and cohesion, as well as its level of self-management;
- To gain awareness of migration strategies of Moldovan migrants.
This study is addressed to migrants and their families, representatives of the Moldovan diaspora communities, representatives of the central and local public authorities of Republic of Moldova, in particular the Bureau for Diaspora Relations, all stakeholders interested in increasing the degree of diaspora’s involvement and encouraging the investment of the social and financial capital accumulated abroad in the development of the home country. This research was carried out by collecting and analysing the opinions of different social stakeholders: Moldovan diaspora, representatives of diplomatic missions abroad, representative of the local public authorities from Moldova and studied countries. It has consulted their opinion on migration, trends, migrants' motivations and expectations, activity of diaspora organizations, return perspectives of migrants to Republic of Moldova.